Ballerina's Bargain - Lorri Dudley


 

Book Stats:

Genre: Christian Historical Fiction           Publication Date: 8 September, 2026
Series: Danforth Theatre, Book 1              Pages: 424
Format: E-book                                         Source: ARC


My Review: 

     As a mom of a dancer and as a reader who loves historical fiction this was such an interesting read. There were definitely some hard topics, but they were all done well. I loved the characters and enjoyed getting to know them. It was so interesting learning about theatres of the time, as it was all new to me. I had no idea about any of the history covered. I definitely suspected some things that turned out to be true, but it was a fun journey. As the story was getting going there was a little too much focus on physical attraction for my personal tastes. I understand why it was there and why Grant was struggling in that area, but still not my favorite. As the book progressed the focus on physical attraction took backstage which I appreciated. 
    The way their faith exuded off the pages and was so real was amazing. Instances of not understanding but trusting Holy Spirit and doing things that your flesh and protective instincts say you shouldn't do. His paths do not often look like the ones we "should" or "expect" to take. Yet His paths are always the right way because it involves surrender to His will and trust that He knows far better than we do. We were able to see that play out in the lives of Emmeline, and Grant and how their choices have ripple effects for both the petite ballerinas and the Danforth Theatre. 
    The theatre was a character unto itself which is always so fun. The petite ballerinas were so adorable, and sweet. There were a few twists I didn't see coming which were fun surprises. I know who I would like the next book to be about, and some mysteries that I still am wondering how they will come to light, but only time will tell. 
    Wonderful story! I am definitely continuing when the next book releases! Until then I think I am going to read some backlist titles! 

You can find out more about the book here: The Ballerina's Bargain - Lorri's Site

A 4-star read for sure!! 

Quote Time: 

Such vivid language, creating wonderful pictures:
"An early-evening fog crept in. The mist swirled and danced about the hem of her skirts, cloaking the corners of London's streets and hiding its filth."

This one is a great reminder:

"God gave Adam the task of naming the animals even before he partook of the apple. We were meant for productive work, and being employed is often a blessing, though a job can also be demanding." 

Last one, although I have many more highlighted:
"She strode to the exit door and turned to face her petite ballerinas. "You hold my heart, and you make me so proud. Tonight, it's my desire for you to perform with excellence, not perfection. Perfection is working overly hard for man, but excellence is doing your best for God. Go and give God glory, showing everyone how magnifique He made you.""

I had never thought of perfection and excellence in this way before, but it make so much sense. Imagine what we could do and how much joy and peace we would exude glorifying the Lord by being excellent, doing our best in everything He has called us to. Our goal being to show how amazing He made each and every one of us, unique and called for different purposes on earth, but all ultimately to shine His glory and for His purposes and plans.  



I want to thank the author and publisher for a copy of this book to read, with no expectations of a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Meet the Author: 

Lorri Dudley has been a finalist in numerous writing contests and has a master’s degree in psychology. She lives in Ashland, Massachusetts with her husband and three teenage sons, where writing romance allows her an escape from her testosterone filled household.




More from (Author): 

Many young girls dream of growing up to become a ballerina. There is a romantic whimsy to the airy skirts, graceful movements, and illusion of defying gravity as dancers balance en pointe and extend their limbs with such elegance that they seem almost infinite. While modern audiences often associate ballet with beauty and enchantment, behind the heavy stage curtains of Regency England’s opera-ballet lurked a darker reality.

Many of the ballerinas came from impoverished families struggling to put food on the table. Girls trained from a young age, long before the onset of womanhood, and were expected to endure grueling hours of rehearsal despite blisters, sore muscles, and bleeding feet. For some, ballet offered a better alternative for a working girl than scrubbing floors and emptying chamberpots as a scullery maid, laboring as a laundress near scalding water and hot presses or cleaning dangerous cotton machinery in a mill.

At least the stage held the possibility of applause—if the performance was well received. If it wasn’t, audiences could be merciless. Performers might be shouted down, heckled off the stage, or pelted with food. Fights occasionally erupted among patrons in the pit or upper gallery, while disreputable men gathered in the front row of what was known as Fops’ Alley in hopes of catching a scandalous glimpse of the ballerinas’ ankles.

Their wealthy counterparts could become a ballerina’s sponsor, gaining special access to backstage rooms where they could ogle the dancers and receive in-person introductions after a performance. These men were known as protectors, though the title was a misnomer. In exchange for a ballerina’s exclusive attention, they offered gifts the young women could scarcely afford themselves, like new ballet slippers, ribbons, bracelets, or other trinkets.

While saving the theatre and its ballerinas from these so-called “protectors” forms the premise of The Ballerina’s Bargain, the novel doesn’t dwell on the darker details of these backstage arrangements. Instead, it focuses on the heroic efforts of its protagonists to spare the young ballerinas from a wretched fate. However, the tension of what may happen should they fail lingers in the wings throughout the story.

Enjoy!  

 

Giveaway

To celebrate her tour, Lorri is giving away a $50 Amazon Gift Card!

Commenting on the different blog stops earns you extra entries into the giveaway! 


Blog Stops

This book is on tour with Celebrate Lit so I encourage you to blog hop to see what others have to say about this book. 

DevotedSteps

The LoftyPages

Books LessTravelled

Devoted To Hope

Debbie’sDusty Deliberations

SheLives To Read

Texas Book-aholic

Melissa’s Bookshelf

For Him and My Family, September 24

Sydney Schmied Books, September 25

Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy, September 25

Connie’s History Classroom, September 26

Happily Managing a Household of Boys, September 26

Simple Harvest Reads, September 27 (Guest Review from Donna)

Sylvan Musings, September 28

Leslie’s Library Escape, September 29

Paula’s Pad of Inspiration, September 30

Cover Lover Book Review, September 30

Holly’s Book Corner, October 1

Pause for Tales, October 2

To Everything There Is A Season, October 2




I want to thank you for taking the time to read my words and I hope you enjoy reading, and hearing about books as much as I do. 


I pray you have a blessed day!


Sincerely, 

Melanie

Comments

  1. This sounds like a great book! Ty for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book! Ty for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, thank you for the lovely review of The Ballerina's Bargain. I was delighted by the quotes you picked out, too. Blessings! Lorri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful story!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful review of this Christian historical fiction! I love how the faith felt real and natural throughout, and that the theatre itself was like a character in the story. The petite ballerinas sound absolutely adorable. A 4-star read with such vivid, beautiful language is definitely going on my list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment