The Ghostwriter - Katherine Bolger Hyde

 


The Ghostwriter

Genre:  Christian Fiction                        Published: 4 August 2026
Series:  N/A                                               Pages: 278
Format: E-book                                        Source: ARC

This book was an interesting read. We get the perspective of both sisters, yet I struggled with Maeve's perspective. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to continue reading just because the format of her chapters was so different. It reminded me of Smeagol from the Lord of the Rings movie in the short sentences and way it was structured. Thankfully I did become accustomed to it. However, I'm still not sure this book was for me. Since I am a character driven gal if I don't connect with any of the characters the book will not be as enjoyable and unfortunately, I did not connect with either character in this book. 

I will say that despite not connecting to the characters the scene at the end had me bawling my eyes out. I lost my mom earlier this year so that scene even though we see it coming was still so difficult to read. I applaud the author for still being able to make me cry even though I was not heavily invested in the characters.  

There were definitely some interesting aspects to the book which I won't disclose because of spoilers. There was a little faith and I did love the growth arc, so overall a good read. 

To find out more about the book head here: Whitefire Publishing: The Ghostwriter

It was a 3 star read for me.

Quote Time:

There was really only one quote that stuck out to me and it's a long one so I will just share one today: 

"I suggest you begin by considering what would please God rather than what would please other people. People-pleasing is seen as a sort of virtue in our society, especially for women, but frankly it's just a manifestation of the passion of vainglory."  
Margaret blinked. "The what of which?" 
"The passion, which is Orthodox shorthand for a predisposition to a particular sin, something that takes hold of the heart so tightly, it can only be shaken loose by struggle and prayer. Of vainglory, which means an obsessive need for the approval of others, even if it must be obtained at the cost of betraying oneself and God."

This quote just really hit home and was a great reminder that my eyes should always be on the Lord and whether or not I am pleasing Him not on whether or not I am pleasing those around me. Also a reminder that when we are struggling God is working in us and prayer is the means by which we rely on Him through the struggle. 


I want to thank the author and publisher for a copy of this book to read without any expectation of a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 


Meet the Author

Katherine Bolger Hyde is the author of the Crime with the Classics traditional mystery series as well as several standalone novels, including The Vestibule of Heaven (Ancient Faith Publishing, 2024). Katherine lives in the Pacific Northwest with her musician husband, John, and two vocal but sadly unmusical cats. When not writing, she can generally be found watching British detective shows while attempting to keep her knitting away from the aforementioned cats.







Here are all the places you can find the author: 






I want to thank you for taking the time to read my words and I hope you enjoy reading, and hearing about books as much as I do. 


I pray you have a blessed day!


Sincerely, 

Melanie

Comments